Low Histamine Turkey Stuffing Recipe (From Scratch!)
A histamine intolerance recipe to stuff your face with
Are you ready to STUFF. YOUR. FACE... with my low histamine stuffing recipe, of course.
Today, I've got a gluten-free, low histamine stuffing recipe that's made entirely from scratch, down to the delicious, gluten-free bread!
And, it pairs perfectly with my low histamine turkey recipe.
So, as always, let's have a quick look at some of the ingredients in this two-part low histamine stuffing recipe.
Low Histamine Stuffing: Ingredients Breakdown
Bread: As packaged and processed foods, as well as yeast, have been shown to destabilize mast cells and aggravate histamine intolerance, choosing a pre-packaged, processed loaf of bread from the supermarket is not a good option. This low histamine stuffing is based off of a coconut bread recipe, filled with whole foods, fresh herbs and spices and antihistamine ingredients. So, by using the low histamine bread recipe to create your own bread from scratch, you'll get a delicious stuffing without any of that nasty fake stuff.
Eggs: Eggs are rich in choline and low in methionine which provides a great combo for regulating gene expression and keeping your body biologically young. Most people with histamine intolerance tend to tolerate clean, pastured eggs. Although some view eggs as an area of conflict for histamine intolerance, it's actually raw eggs (specifically, egg whites) that aggravate the issue. The cooked eggs in this recipe are nutrient-packed, provide a healthy dose of fats and are fine for histamine intolerance.
Himalayan salt: Choosing unprocessed and uncolored Himalayan salt provides the body with a healthy dose of sodium which is necessary, in moderation, and helps to keep your sodium potassium pumps running smoothly to power your body!
Garlic & onion : Garlic and onion also contain beneficial prebiotic fibres to encourage the growth of beneficial bacteria, while also possessing antibacterial properties that act against bad bacteria, thus assisting in balancing the microbiome.
Herbs: Fresh herbs, such as rosemary, sage and parsley, have antibacterial and antihistamine properties to balance gut bacteria and reduce symptoms even further.
For a full list of the right foods for histamine intolerance, click below to get my histamine intolerance food list which provides a complete guide to the ins-and-outs of histamine intolerance!
Low Histamine Stuffing Recipe
- 1-2 loaves gluten-free bread (recipe below)
- Fresh sage and parsley, to taste
- Himalayan sea salt
- Hot water (enough to moisten)
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Make the gluten-free bread recipe (below) and let rest until cool. Then, tear the bread into small, stuffing-sized pieces and let it sit overnight in a bowl on the counter in order to dry the bread out
- The next day, add sage, parsley and sea salt to taste, as well as the onion – mix well.
- Add 1 egg and enough hot water to make the stuffing sticky and malleable
- Stuff your low histamine turkey with this stuffing!
Low Histamine Coconut Garlic & Rosemary Bread Recipe
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 8 tbsp. Grass-fed butter
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- 2 tsp. Fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp. Fresh garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. Fresh onion, minced
- ¼ tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine dry ingredients (coconut flour & baking powder) in a bowl and set aside.
- Add 6 eggs to a separate bowl and beat with a hand mixer until you begin to see bubbles at the top.
- Melt the stick of butter in the microwave and slowly add it to the eggs as you beat with the hand mixer. Then, add in the spices (onion, garlic, rosemary and salt).
- Once the wet and dry ingredients are fully combined in separate bowls, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients as you mix with the hand mixture.
- Grease an 8x4 loaf pan and pour the mixture into it evenly.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes (time will vary depending on your oven).
- Let the bread rest for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
What occasion will you be using this low histamine stuffing recipe for? Let me know in the comments below!
Want more low histamine recipes like this? Check out my nutritionist-approved Low Histamine Cookbook with 110 delicious histamine intolerance recipes!
Life's too short to let symptoms control you.
Your histamine intolerance expert,
1. Balch PA. Prescription for Nutritional Healing. 4th ed. Avery, editor. London: Penguin Group; 2006. 980 p.
2. Ede G. Histamine Intolerance: why freshness matters. J Evol Heal. 2017;2(1):11.
3. Stockinger, B., Meglio, P., Gialitakis, M. and Duarte, J. (2014). The Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor: Multitasking in the Immune System. Annual Review of Immunology, 32(1), pp.403-432.
4. Hoffman BD. What is Mast Cell Activation Syndrome ? Hoffman Centre for Integrative and Functional Medicine. 2017.
5. Maintz L, Novak N. Histamine and histamine intolerance. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007;85(5):1185–96.
6. Perreard M, Iconomidis N, Bernard C, Chayvialle J, Gerolami A. Effect of a low-fat diet on the fasting volume and postprandial emptying of the gallbladder. Gastroenterol Clin Biol. 1993;17(6-7):435-40.