The Master List of Low Histamine Foods to Eat (and Which Foods to Avoid)

histamine intolerance food list

• Looking for a low histamine food list to ease what ails you?
  • Do you want a comprehensive list of high histamine foods, so that you know your low histamine diet is accurately being followed?
  • Are you sick and tired of experiencing food sensitivities, skin rashes, digestive symptoms and other chronic symptoms?

A list of low histamine foods is essential for anyone who suffers from the symptoms of histamine intolerance.

Similar to seasonal allergies or a food allergy, a reaction to histamine is inflammatory. Histamine is a neurotransmitter that travels through your body in your bloodstream and helps break down food in your stomach. But it is also a part of a healthy immune system that sets off a warning when your body needs to fend off any possible illnesses.

When triggered, mast cells in your tissue will release histamine into the bloodstream, which causes your red blood cells to become bigger and helps white blood cells find the foreign pathogen – or threat to your immune system.

Since histamine is something that your body naturally makes, eating high histamine foods usually won’t have negative side effects.  However, for people who have a hard time breaking down excess histamine, eating certain foods can trigger symptoms or make them even worse.

​The Benefits of Having a Low Histamine Food List

Knowing which low histamine foods to fill your shopping cart may help you manage a histamine intolerance and can be a part of an elimination diet to help you understand which foods affect you the most.

Though it can be difficult to diagnose, there are some more common histamine intolerance symptoms that are noticeable after eating high histamine foods. These could include hives, headaches, digestive distress, anxiety, trouble sleeping and more. They can also be more complicated, moving from these allergy-like reactions to skin issues and persistent digestive symptoms.

Although the disorder may seem confusing at times, the bright side is that no matter what type of symptoms you’re experiencing, they can be controlled very quickly when you eliminate high histamine foods and replace them with these low histamine foods on our list below.

There are many benefits of following a diet centered around low histamine foods, including:

• Confirmation of histamine intolerance. To fully diagnose histamine intolerance, you should always work with a doctor or natural healthcare practitioner. However, diagnosis can be difficult due to the multi-symptomatic nature of histamine intolerance. Eliminating certain foods from your diet can help to confirm histamine issues, as can this at-home test for histamine intolerance.
  • Fast relief from a variety of symptoms. Many people see symptomatic improvement within 1-2 weeks of removing high histamine foods from your diet.
  • No guesswork. When you do an elimination diet and pay attention to how the low histamine foods and high histamine foods on this list affect you, you’ll know your restricted and allowed foods! I suggest using a detailed food diary to help you to pinpoint these foods.

​Understanding Which High Histamine Foods to Avoid

The main issue with finding the right low histamine food list is that many foods can be a topic of contradiction. It’s hard to find two identical lists, leaving you a bit confused about your optimal histamine diet…

As a histamine intolerance researcher, I’ve put together the most comprehensive, up-to-date low histamine food list available online.

My version of the low histamine food list calls attention to the foods that will liberate histamine or destabilize mast cells. Although these foods may not be high in histamine themselves, they can increase overall histamine levels and end up triggering symptoms.

In addition, this food chart also includes all high histamine foods, so that you know exactly what to avoid. Knowing both of these lists is important for empowering you to take control of your diet and symptoms.

My goal is to give you the information you need to address histamine intolerance from all angles and experience symptomatic relief, regardless of the underlying cause.

​The List of Low Histamine Foods

In order to experience maximum relief, download the free Low Histamine Diet eBook. This is the ultimate guide to learning how to add low histamine foods to your diet. It provides easy to follow guidance for following a histamine diet, gives instructions for maximizing symptom relief, and helps you address the root cause of your histamine intolerance.

I also recommend printing out a copy of the low histamine food list to keep in your purse or on your fridge!

FOOD GROUPALLOWEDRESTRICTED
Vegetables
  • All fresh vegetables except those listed opposite
  • Eggplant
  • Pineapple
  • Prunes
  • Plums
  • Raisins
  • Raspberries
  • Strawberries
  • Fruit dishes,jams, juices made with restricted ingredients
Meat, Poultry and Fish
  • All fresh meat and poultry. Must be bought and cooked fresh.
  • All fish (unless fresh caught)
  • All shellfish
  • Leftover/refrigerated meats
  • Processed, cured or smoked meats
Eggs
  • Plain eggs (ensure whites are fully cooked)
  • Raw egg whites (as in some eggnog, hollandaise sauce, milk shakes)
Fats and Oils
  • Pure butter
  • All vegetable oils and oils of allowed
  • foods which contain no additives
  • Coconut oil
  • Meat drippings and fat
  • Homemade gravy
  • Homemade salad dressings with allowed ingredients
  • All fats and oils with colours or preservatives
  • Prepared gravy
  • Commercial salad dressings
  • Hydrolyzed lecithin
Spices and Herbs
  • All fresh herbs and spices except those listed opposite
  • Anise
  • Cinnamon
  • Cloves
  • Curry powder
  • Paprika/cayenne
  • Nutmeg
  • Seasoning packets with restricted ingredients
  • Foods labeled “with spices”
Nuts and seeds
  • All nuts should be eliminated for the first two weeks on the diet. After this period, nuts aside from those listed opposite may be reintroduced individually to examine tolerance. Begin with macadamias and chestnuts.
  • Walnuts
  • Cashews
Legumes*
  • All legumes should be eliminated for the first two weeks on the diet. After this period, legumes aside from those listed opposite may be reintroduced individually to examine tolerance. Even if tolerable, a maximum consumption of ½ cup legumes per day is recommended.
  • Soy
  • Lentils
  • Beans
  • Peanuts
Breads and Cereals*
  • Total of ½ cup per day maximum of the following: Any plain, gluten-free breads, gluten-free oats, gluten-free pasta or other gluten-free grains with allowed ingredients only.
  • It’s notable that non-celiac gluten sensitivity may be due to histamine intolerance.
  • Foods cooked in oils containing hydrolyzed lecithin, BHA or BHT Baking Mixes
  • Dry dessert mixes
Milk and Dairy*
  • After two weeks on this diet, plain milk can be reintroduced if tolerable
Sweeteners*
  • Recommended to only use when necessary and in minimal amounts:
  • Honey
  • Molasses
  • Maple Syrup
  • Pure jams and jellies
  • Homemade desserts with allowed ingredients
  • Flavored syrups
Other
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Baking soda
  • Plain gelatin
  • Corn starch
  • Gluten-free baking powder
  • All chocolate, cocoa and carob
  • All products made with artificial flavors or preservatives
  • Artificial colourings, especially tartazine (also found in medications and supplements)
  • Hydrolyzed lecithin
  • BHA, BHT
  • Flavored gelatin
  • Mincemeat
  • Prepared relishes and olives
  • Soy sauce
  • Miso Commercial ketchup
  • Canned foods and ready meals
  • Pickled and fermented foods
  • Vinegar
  • Yeast and yeast extracts
  • Benzoates (also found in cosmetics), sulphites, nitrites, glutamate, food dyes
Beverages
  • Coffee
  • Still and carbonated mineral water
  • Tea made with fresh sliced ginger and hot water only (helps degrade histamine)
  • Alcohol is recommended to be consumed in minimal amounts, if at all. However, when necessary, plain vodka, gin and white rum are the best choices on this diet.
  • Low histamine wine
  • Soda and carbonated drinks
  • All tea (including green, black and mate)
  • All drinks with “flavor” or “spices” Beer, cider and wine (unless specified low histamine wine)
  • All other alcoholic beverages

* Starred food categories are not essential in your diet and should be consumed in minimal amounts or avoided entirely to maximize health benefits and symptom relief during your diet.

The low histamine food chart here is meant to show you which foods are safe to consume and which are best to avoid when you want to reduce your symptoms quickly and effectively. Download the foods list and use it as a shopping list to help make meal planning fast and easy!

To improve gut health with a scientist on your side, get daily tips using:

Anita Tee, Msc

Anita Tee is a nutritional scientist specializing in histamine intolerance and gut health. Anita carries a Master of Science in Personalized Nutrition and a Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, specializing in Genetic & Molecular Biology.

• James says:

Can you send me your list of foods that are low histamine and those foods not allowed. Thank you very much.
    James

• Anita Tee says:

Hi James,

I’ve removed your email address from your comment to protect your privacy and prevent spam.

I’ve sent you an email with the histamine foods list eBook download and you can also receive it straight to your inbox by clicking this link: https://factvsfitness.com/lp-ga-histamine-download-desk-web/

Warmest regards and wishing you well,

Anita

• craftresumes review says:

Some people have allergies, unexplainable ones. On the other hand, there are food that triggers something in the body to make allergic reactions. I have allergies to seafoods, every time my family cooks it since that is their favorite dish, I envy how they eat them. I wonder how it tastes like, always. I hope there’s a cure or substitute food to have them tested. Your blog is very informative and it has a lot of things that people will really appreciate. I look forward to more post like this.

• Fidel Skillman says:

Really good site, thank you so much for your time in writing this post.

• Zina Hadsell says:

Great delivery. Solid arguments. Keep up the amazing spirit.|

• google says:

Nice post! Thank you.

• Jen says:

What about rice? I didn’t see rice on the list. Any difference between white rice and brown rice?
    Joeni

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Joeni,

Rice may aggravate some, as it is not native to the diets of many regions. However, if tolerable, white basmati rice is the best option here.

• Gary says:

Please send me your list of the low histamine diet as you suggest above.

• Melissa Jean Reagh says:

Hi Anita. Thank you for this list. I have several copies..refrigerator, purse, my mom’s house, ect…it’s very helpful.
    So onions and garlic? Are those ok? I am miserable after garlic especially. I get so confused between knowing how to identify die off versus a histamine issue.

• Hi Melissa,

If you’re having issues with garlic you may have a cross-intolerance, in which case you should avoid it. If you follow the instructions in the email series which is sent out after you receive the PDF, then I explain how to identify any outlying intolerances in order to personalise your diet.

• Naja says:

hi! this is all
    super helpful as i’ve developed a histamine intolerance this year. there are a lot of foods i should stay away from, can you quickly give a breakdown of what a diet SHOULD consist of while reducing histamine rich foods? ex: “meats potatoes and salad should be dietary staples…” . thank you!

• Hi Naja,

As long as you follow the allowed foods list you should be fine. I have refined it to be nutritionist-approved to ensure the foods that are listed are healthy and you won’t end up on a diet that will damage your gut microbiome or worsen your intolerance.

• B says:

Bananas and pears are ok? I def react to those… Every other list I’ve seen has those restricted, As well as any vinegar or anything fermented.

• Anita Tee says:

Hello! If you find that you react to any foods on the list, please avoid them. This is a generalised list of ‘safe’ foods for ‘most’ people. Every body will react differently, so please keep in mind that you will need to tweak this list as it pertains to you and your tolerances 🙂

• Jamie says:

I was curious about lactose free milk, as well as egg based/whey protein isolate protein powders. Do either of those things fit in during the two weeks?

Thanks
    Jamie

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Jamie, so sorry for the delay! Avoiding dairy of all kinds, as well as eggs would our recommendation for the two weeks 🙂

• Louise Bowcock says:

Hi
    I have suffered with severe chronic urticaria for 2p plus years and nothing seems to work! I’m at my wits end. I was told about low histamine foods so thought I would give it a go. Could you send me a list of foods I should avoid. This would be much appreciated.

• Jason says:

Who could ever adhere to a diet like this? You’d have to raise all of your own food including your own chickens, cattle, and fish… or am I misinterpreting what you’re saying?

It doesn’t seem like you could ever travel anywhere either. I would waste away to 100 lbs and be housebound for the rest of my life if I went on this diet permanently.

Surely there has to be a happy medium on some of this stuff. I just don’t see how this diet is possible unless you live on a farm and raise most of your own food.

• Hi Jason,

Yes – it’s a bit of a misunderstanding that I should clarify. When I discuss fresh meats, I essentially mean as fresh as you can get. Freshness is important because, as meat ages, bacteria will degrade proteins to produce higher histamine levels.

As I mention in some of my content and my email series that accompanies the diet, a tip that I used to practice is to simply ask the grocer what day the meats were delivered. On the day they would arrive, I would buy them in bulk and freeze then until ready to cook.

But – of course, if you DO raise your own meat, kudos to you as that would be ultimately fresh!

• martha says:

I also need to know how to identify any outlying intolerances in order to personalize my diet. hanks, Martha

• Hi, Martha!

I recommend downloading the low histamine diet eBook that’s available on this page! It will send you a copy of the histamine intolerance food list, in full, as well as info on how to reduce your symptoms – including a comprehensive explanation of how to identify outlying intolerances in order to personalize your diet 😉

Warmest regards,

Anita

• Evelyn says:

Hi,
    Is organic Stevia allowed? Thanks.

• Anna says:

I see on the list that all teas should be avoided. What about herbs like Holy Basil (Tulsi) tea? It is shown to stabilize mast cells. Ginger can be a stomach aggravated if someone has ulcers or is getting over one. ~Anna

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Anna, thanks for your feedback! Tea is avoided simply because it is dried and ‘aged’. Ginger can absolutely aggravate the stomach, so it’s important to find what works for your symptoms and your body 🙂

• hope hughes says:

Why is acv acceptable but not vinegar?

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Hope, so sorry for the delay in response!

ACV has shown numerous health benefits, which is why it is acceptable. However, if you find that it is not tolerated by you, specifically, please avoid 🙂

• Stacey says:

I am confused when looking on your lists compared to other website lists of histamine foods. For exampleMany suggest not to eat bananas or eggs but you say they are ok. How can we follow a low histamine diet with varying information?
    Thanks!
    Stacey

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Stacey, thanks so much for your feedback! Unfortunately, the internet is full of misleading information, as well as outdated and generalised information. What’s important to note is that these recommendations are generalised for histamine intolerance as a whole – not personalised. It is recommended that you take these recommendations and find what works for you, specifically. Some ‘restricted’ items might actually be tolerated by you. If you’d like more personalised recommendations for your specific case, please find out more about our consultations here, so that we might help you further: https://factvsfitness.com/anita-tee-consultations/

• MARTIN says:

Very informative. Will try out the list and see the outcome. Been suffering from IBS for more than ten years now and I tend to believe this could be due to Histamine Intolerance. This seemingly factual understanding came after realizing that Antihistamines help reduce the symptoms associated with the syndrome..
    Thanks alot

• Patsy Baynard says:

Are beats and bear greens acceptable to eat?

• Anne says:

HI Banana is on the list of NOT ALLOWED FRUITS. But as I scrolled down, mashed banana is on the ALLOWED LIST under Sweeteners. What`s the difference?

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Anne, it is under a sweetener as “recommended to use only when necessary and in minimal amounts”. It is not recommended to eat a banana as a snack, but rather use some banana to sweeten a recipe 🙂

• dunces says:

Ϲan I simply juѕt say what a relief to discover somebοdy who
    really knows whаt they’re talking about on the net.
    You definitely know how to bring a problem to light and make it imρortant.
    A lot more peoрle must read this and understand this side of your
    story. I was surpгised you’re not morе populɑr given that you certainly
    have the gift.

• Dee says:

Does pharmaceutical drugs cause high blood pressure that’s linked to histamine intolerance? I took propanalol and my blood pressure jumped to 240/125. It’s like I’m allergic to even blood pressure medications. It took hours for my blood pressure to stabalize. Also, I have gallbladder stones and slow contraction, can this be linked to histamine intolerance?

• Rosee says:

Hi! I’ve been suffering from body-wide ezcema for the last two years and it’s just getting worse so I figured I’d give this a try. My main concern is that I’m vegan. Is there anyway to do this without animal products or at least without meat? I’m definitely suffering and want to find the answer but not sure how I feel about the idea of finding relief that depends on the pain of animals. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

• Dori Beals says:

Hi Anita,
    Thank you for doing all this research! I have a question about tea. Is all tea, even herbal, on the “eliminate” list?

Dori

• Anita Tee says:

Hi Dori,

Yes, even herbal tea is recommended to be cut out. Try hot water and sliced ginger instead of tea for nice alternative 🙂

• >